Saturday, March 8, 2014

On Money and Minimalism

I really like that certain bloggers post their budgets as well as the items they bought over the past month.  In part because I'm just nosy, in part because I like seeing people's thought processes, and in part because I just like looking at clothes. 
I haven't done that type of post myself because, well, I don't have an exact budget.  While there's no number in my mind that I have to stay under, I do try to be very conscious of my purchases.  I remember just five years ago, talking about how someday I wanted a bedroom sized closet with a spinning clothes rack, a la Clueless (or for those younger readers, Lisa Vanderpump's on RHOBH).  Now I want the opposite, a wardrobe that is as small as possible but as functional as possible.  I'm not sure when that transition took place, but in general I find I just want less stuff.  Of course it coincides with my deciding to start an outfit blog- hmm, not the best timing.

I did pretty well in January, the only item I bought was a pair of tights.  I thought about doing a budget post, but it would have just been boring.  In February though I bought a few more things:

Liverpool Jeans Company, Ross, $7.99


Like many women I have trouble finding bottoms that fit my curvy bottom, and my size fluctuates a little with time of month and year.  I just wanted a pair of pants to wear around the house that would fit no matter what.  These stretchy ones are definitely more stylish than my current go-to, Rodney's Mickey Mouse pajamas (and my son gets concerned that Mickey is going to fall off of them).

Blouse, Target, $9.98

I already own this blouse in pink and wear it every weekend. It does wrinkle easily which is annoying.  I like the saturated tomato color, but wasn't sure I needed a second one.  I debated buying this for a while (translation- while walking around Target shopping).  The convincing argument was that I have been trying to be conscious of what colors look better on me, and this is one of them.  Even if I just wear it on weekends it will pay for itself.

Blouse, Loft (bought with credit from a scarf I returned)
 I'm having a pink moment.  See skirt below.

Skirt, Loft, $36
I seem to be into pink lately.  The scalloped edges are a nice detail.

Max Studio Sweater Skirt, TJ Maxx, $24.99

This one is going to get its own post.  I know it's not a smart purchase, but somehow I really wanted it.

Total:  $8 + 10 + 0 + 36 + 25 = 79
Overall the total is reasonable, but I do think some of these items are emotional buys and not completely necessary.  It's been a stressful month.  I may need that revolving clothes rack yet!

Linking up with Fran's Budgeting Bloggers

No comments:

Post a Comment